Victims of attack on Tangshan restaurant recover from injuries, Chinese police say

In the attack, which took place in the early hours of June 10, several women were repeatedly kicked and beaten by a group of men. It sent shockwaves through China after surveillance footage of the incident was leaked online.

A day after the attack, the Tangshan police released a statement saying that two women had been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening injuries” and are in “stable condition”. No other information was provided. The victims, as well as their friends and family, have also kept quiet.

On Tuesday, 11 days after the attack, and 10 days after the first statement, the Public Security Service of Hebei Province, where Tangshan is located, released a second, longer statement, saying that two of the women, aged 31 and 29 old,” admitted to the general ward for treatment, and their condition has improved.” The other two victims, aged 24 and 29, did not require hospitalization, it added.

According to a forensic report quoted by police, the hospitalized women suffered “second-degree minor injuries”, while the other two had “minor injuries”.

The 10-day information black hole had given rise to repeated accusations the leaked surveillance video captured only part of the attack, and the violence continued off-camera in a nearby alleyway — claims CNN cannot independently verify.

In an apparent effort to refute such rumours, Hebei police said in a statement Tuesday that the suspects fled the scene at 2:47 am — seven minutes after the attack began; and at 2:55 am the four victims were taken to hospital by ambulance. Local police officers arrived at the restaurant at 3:09 am, about half an hour after a call from the public at the start of the attack, the statement said.

'What happened to the Tangshan women?': Chinese demand answers to brutal restaurant attack
But the statement was met with disbelief online, with many criticizing the authorities’ handling of the case. A related hashtag on Weibo was viewed 450 million times within hours.

“So there are no photos or videos. Journalists are not allowed to interview (the victims), and only you can release information,” said a user on Weibo, the Chinese Twitter-like platform, referring to the lack of access for journalists.

“A city without credibility — dare we trust the injury report? And how reliable is this police statement?” added the user.

After the attack, Chinese authorities sought to quell discussions about gender-based violence and shift the focus to local gang violence.

State media reports largely focused on the swift police action in the arrest of the suspects and the two-week “thunderstorm” campaign announced by the Tangshan authorities to fight organized crime. Photos and videos of police officers – some armed with guns – standing guard behind customers at barbecue restaurants, similar to the one where the incident took place, flooded social media.

'This could happen to all of us': Graphic video of men stomping on a woman's head shakes China to the bone

In Tuesday’s statement, police said four of the suspects had traveled to Tangshan from eastern Jiangsu province three days before the attack to conspire with the other five to “carry out illegal online gambling and money laundering”. Several of them had criminal records, for crimes ranging from illegal detention to intentionally harming others, the statement said.

The police have also launched an internal investigation into whether the local police station has not responded in time and whether they have violated laws and regulations in enforcing the law. A deputy chief of the local police station had been suspended, the statement said

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.