Police officer fired, 5 under investigation into gang attack on female diners in Tangshan

The deputy police chief who carried out the brutal attack on a group of women in the Chinese city of Tangshan earlier this month has been fired.

Without going into detail about the reason for the dismissal, Hebei’s Disciplinary Inspection and Supervisory Authority announced on Tuesday that the deputy chief, identified by his surname Li, had been removed from office.

Li was responsible for the initial handling of the case involving the attack on four women by a group of several people at a barbecue restaurant on June 10.

The official report also revealed that Lubei District Police Chief Ma Aijun and four other officers were under investigation.

More from NextShark: New York deploys undercover Asian agents to fight hate crimes

According to the announcement, the agency has “carried out in-depth investigations into police early dispatch, irregular law enforcement, and serious violations of discipline and law.”

The announcement came after growing public scrutiny security camera images The incident went viral on Chinese social media.

In the video, a man is first seen entering the restaurant before walking towards a group of four women. He then appears to be talking to one of them and puts his hand on her back. When she tries to push him away twice, the man retaliates by beating her and engaging the others at the table in a fight.

More from NextShark: Japan wants China to stop anal swabbing civilians for COVID-19 after ‘major psychological pain’

Other men storm into the establishment and start attacking the women. The men can be seen kicking the women and then dragging them out to be beaten further.

The incident sparked national outrage and widespread discussions online on male violence against women in the country.

The day after the incident, Tangshan police announced they had arrested all nine suspects, including two of the men’s female companions who had not participated in the violence.

More from NextShark: Chinese journalist missing after reporting on COVID-19 in January found to be ‘under state surveillance’

It was revealed that at least five of the suspects had criminal records that ranged from intentionally causing harm to running an illegal online gambling circle.

The earlier announcement noted that the two hospitalized victims had been transferred from intensive care to a regular patient room. They were reportedly in steady state and recover from non-life-threatening injuries.

More from NextShark: Bystander chases stranger who randomly beat Asian-American woman in DC Chinatown

Featured Image Reuters

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.